Monday, August 6, 2007

Finding the right adjustment - never easy

Well I started the weekend out with a visit to my friends (and fellow riders) Mari and Dave's place. They have been so wonderful to me, helping me set my bike up to the best it can be. I have had a lot of issues with my back on my road bike which has been pretty frustrating at times but I feel like I am slowly getting to the right adjustments on my cannondale. A couple of riders on last Mondays ride made a comment that my seat seemed to be a few notches too high which can shift my pelvic area and arch my back which can then add to a sore back, so Dave helped me alter that a bit. He also is lending me one of his own fork's to swap on my bike to see if I need the extra height as I have felt like in the past that my back can't handle being so far down. He is such a great guy! I can't believe he trusts me so, but he says anything to help a fellow rider get out more.
Well I was going up to Long Point at a friends cottage for the weekend but I wanted to get in a decent ride on sat morning. So out I went just after 10ish in the morning (a bit of a slow start but what can I say :) ) I realized after a bit that my shoulders were feeling jammed again into my handle bars. I decided that maybe the seat had been shifted down just a bit too much, so I got off, took out my tools and shifted 'er back up a touch but after about 6km my seat was really rubbing and making for an uncomfortable ride and I was feeling like I was stretched out too far again. So once again I got off my bike, took out my tools and slide my seat a touch forward (as I realized I must have accidentally pushed it back a bit when I was playing with it before). It's unbelievable how just cm's can make such a difference. But I know Lance himself says he can tell when a mechanic has slightly adjusted his bike to not the right measurements. He says since he knows his bike so well he can tell when things are off even by a few cm's! Being a lot less experienced, even though I can feel in my body things are not quite right, to actually figure out where the problem is, is not so easy.
But off I went again having only road 15km in like 35 min or so because of all my stops :P The rest of the ride was a good one but on my way out I had strong winds so I was going pretty slow. The way back was way more fun. In total I did 55km, home by 12:30pm.
Managed to get another ride in on Monday morning as well. The ride felt way better. Though this time I had the head wind on my way back. It was a strong one again. I seem to be only able to go about 22km/hour when going into the wind. I have to figure out how to go faster but I guess that just comes with strength. I'm trying to make my rides longer and longer but even though I feel like I am adding on new routes and today I ended up going to Copetown and back and then in the last half of my ride going all around Brantford it still ended up being only 58km! Riding time was 2hours and 20 min. Funny thing is, my back felt a lot better today. I think I will hold off for another week or so, get some more riding (with this latest adjustment) under my belt before I swap stem's. Though I think I still need to change my handlebars at some point. The reach to my hubs is good, but my reach to the horn's seems to be just a bit too far (noticed on last Monday's road ride that they all had shorter handlebars). Sigghh, so much to do! and figure out! But at least I got a few more months on the road before the winter and another 10 months before the tour next year to sort everything out.

No comments: