Sunday, June 22, 2008

Coast to Coast


Well I will admit, I did not expect to end up in a paper this close to the start of the tour. It was kind of cool how it all happened actually. A women from my Pilates class works for United Way in Woodstock and they had a big photo shoot the week previous. Somehow she got on the topic of my summer and of Sea to Sea. The photography she was talking too was really interested in doing an interview with me and asked her to tell me to get in touch with him (as she didn't have info on how to connect with me).
So I was off to any other Pilates class this past Tuesday (or so I think) and Kelsey tells me her story. So as soon as I got back to work I gave the photographer from the Sentinel Review (Woodstock's daily, but small newspaper). We set up a time for the following day and that's pretty much how it went. I ended up using my old mtn bike helmet and my coworkers commuter bike for the picture.
The story ended up in Friday's paper and to my surprise ended up on the front page with a gigantic picture of me! Yikes, lol. I was expecting a small article with an equally small gray scale pic on the inside somewhere. lol.
Anyhow I have attached the text from the article for you to read (the only disappointment was he forgot to add the website so people could check it for more info, but incase they call my office - as it did mention where I worked - they can pass on all the info).

Coast to coast
Posted By Elliot Ferguson, Staff Photographer

On June 30, Stephanie Webb will put the rear wheel of her bicycle in the Pacific Ocean.
If all goes to plan, nine weeks later she will dip the front wheel in the Atlantic.
Webb, 26, is gearing up to be one of close to 220 cyclists taking part in a 6,200-kilometre ride across North America to fight global poverty. It's a cause Webb said she has always wanted to become involved in.
"You don't always know how you can make an impact," said Webb, who works as a graphic designer at Oxford Media Group.
"When I heard about this, combined with biking, I thought (it was) perfect."
The Sea to Sea tour is organized by the Christian Reformed Church. It raises money to help fund programs that fight global poverty and help communities in developing countries.
Webb first heard about the ride in 2005, when it crossed Canada. She regretted not taking part in that ride, and when she heard about this year's tour she was among the first to sign up.
Each rider has a fundraising goal of $10,000, and Webb is close to $2,000 past that amount.
Webb has competed in mountain biking for about five years and started riding on the road seriously two years ago.
She'll need the training those years have provided.
This year's tour includes 54 days of riding, including six "century" days, where riders will cover more than 100 miles (160 km).
"It can be somewhat overwhelming when you think about it, but you'll get there," she said.
The Sea to Sea tour is scheduled to roll through Woodstock Aug. 22, during the London to Hamilton stage.

No comments: